Thread: Echo Cancellation

Asleep Now

Echo Cancellation

I'm planning on using the PC to provide handsfree kit for the phone. I haven't tried it yet but my understanding based on reading posts is that the echo created when the microphone hears the speakers is a fairly big problem.

First question is this correct?

If so it should be possible to build an echo cancellation module that goes in line with the microphone, senses the speaker output, does some sums and provides a clean mic output to the PC.

So second question - is there already something out there that does this for a sensible price. If there is I don't want to waste a lot of time designing something.

I realise that there are echo cancelling algorithms built into XP but don't think I could use them on my install. The car it's going in has a Bose amplifier system which constantly tunes the amplifier frequency response and volume as ambient noise in the car changes. Think this would seriously upset any pure software solutions, and I don't really want to rip it out.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Define "sensible".

There are noise-cancelling mics available, some motherboards come with them. You can buy the mic and a USB dongle, but I'm not sure how much it costs - take a look here for more info.

Don't know how well they work though.

Asleep Now
    Was hoping for something under the 50 mark.

I'm guessing, based on the lack of response on this, that's it not really as big a problem as I thought so I'll put this on the back burner for now, install with a standard mic and see how it goes.

well pete the echo can be cancelled by turning the mic volume down in playback ,the bigger problem i have found is getting a good amplified microphone with no distortion and good gain

Thread Information