Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Discovery install

My Discovery install

Having traded in the trusty old Land Rover Defender and bought a Discovery 2 I thought it was about time I started an install thread.

The pc went in the week leading up to this years DC meet at Billing, more or less thrown in...................carefully though The install was good enough not to win Most Ghetto but nowhere near good enough to win anything else

Anyway, having spent all day yesterday fabricating a new feature I thought I'd get this thread going and strike fear into the hearts of those who think they stand a chance at next year's meet

First off here's the motor. It's a 2.5 TD5 ES auto. Leather seats, electric everything and some nifty handling and off road doowhackies. It also comes with factory nav which is head unit based. Great verbal notifications but with no map screen the visuals aren't brill.

Obviously, I'm a bit reluctant to hack the interior about too much so whatever I do installation-wise has to be with the minimum of damage or remodelling.

More pics and stuff to follow as I'm knackered after slogging away this weekend.
    Last edited by rustyboxx; 16-07-2007 at 23:06.

First off, the pc install. The Disco has acres of space to put all the gear in. The rear storage bins are a perfect place, easy access and completely stealth

Side off and pc temporarily fixed to mdf board. Luckily the fixings that hold the storage bin in place were ideal to mount the board to the bin without drilling. Only had to drill a 25cm hole in the base of the bin for all the wires. There is a 12v aux ciggy lighter next to the bin which I used to power the screen and send the signal to pc to switch on/off.

That gives you a bit of a taster. I have made some changes which I'll post up when I take some more pics tomorrow
    Last edited by rustyboxx; 17-07-2007 at 00:55.

Ok, onto the screen. Those of you who went to the DC may remember my trusty LinITX propped up at the front of the centre console. Not an ideal place really as it got in the way of the High/Low ratio lever (not that I'll ever use it much). Anyway, after seeing the high brightness screens I decided to get one and think seriously about where it could live permanently.

The dash is an option but I want to keep the nav head unit as it is pretty awesome.

I could move the climate control panel but again this would be loads of work and would mean I lose the cup holders

So, a bit of clever thinking required. I remembered seeing a small pic of a factory sat nav screen fitted to a Discovery Metropolis. A trip to my local LR garage and over £100 later I ordered a new console to replace the existing overhead console.

Bad news! It turned up but it was the same as the one I had but with bits hacked out of it. Back to LR and browsed the special vehicles catalogue. Found the right console and ordered that along with an upgraded dome light. Bad news again! The screen aperture was tiny and no amount of modification would make it fit. Time for plan B.

After a lot of searching Ebay, online, scrap yards etc, I finally found a second hand console.

Great, only £20 +p&p as opposed to the £170 a new one would cost. This one I didn't mind hacking about

I decided to use the headrest surround rather than fabbing the screen in permanently. It's also easier to remove when I need to. I started by making a template for the housing out of cardboard and then foam board when I got the shapes right. Foam board is excellent! Got myself some 4mm ply and merrily blitzed it with the jigsaw. A bit of duct tape later and the mock up looked like this.

Next stage was to strengthen up the whole thing using 12mm batten, araldite and heavy duty staples. Time to cut out some holes for the courtesy light and sunroof switches.

I then glued some 5mm thick foam to the outside faces to round off the square edges.

That done, it was time to cover the whole thing in vinyl. Popped into my local fabric store and found a perfect colour match to the console. Tacked the vinyl to the inside faces of the plywood using 4mm staples and hey presto, one covered console. Tried it out on the roof console and was reasonably happy with the fit.

Now onto the car. I decided as I hadn't needed to hack the roof console about I could use the existing one. I needed to re-route the screen cables which meant taking half the car apart. I also replaced the factory nav gps receiver as the old one was playing up. Tidied up a few other wires and cables while I was at it and tucked them all away out of sight. My poor car

Right then, onto the best bit, putting it all back together again. It didn't take long and the new console was fixed firmly in place. there are no external or visible fixings for the housing as I wanted it to look as stock as possible. I am also pleased that it doesn't obscure the rear view mirror. Everything back in place so time to fire up the pc and see what the screen looks like :)

Yay!! It works. Not looking too bad I reckon.

The screen is easily seen from the rear seats so my darling daughter can now watch movies if she wants to. I intend installing another screen in the front so that I can have the map screen on all the time. That's another project that will reqiuire some careful thought as I'm back to the original quandry of where to put it
    Last edited by rustyboxx; 17-07-2007 at 22:02.

Nice.
    I actually think it might make it into the car this year!

nice motor!

get another facia or something from a breakers and hack away :)

Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    I'm waiting to see this. I'll only be in with a change when I go double din my self....

Did you get that case thing you where after ?

Terran

Quote Originally Posted by ccsnet View Post
    I'm waiting to see this. I'll only be in with a change when I go double din my self....

Did you get that case thing you where after ?

Terran
    Yes and no. Long story, ordered the part, it turned up, wrong one. Ordered another bit, turned up but the screen aperture was too small. Sent it back and gave up. Found something else so bought that but didn't use it. Made my own in the end, pics up later

Posts 1, 2 and 3 updated

Quote Originally Posted by rustyboxx View Post
    Posts 1, 2 and 3 updated
    Superb work

My Farcebook Page| Best Dashboard Install 2005 & 2007 ::::car now sold::::

pretty damn factory looking there mate!

Quote Originally Posted by rustyboxx View Post
    I intend installing another screen in the front so that I can have the map screen on all the time.
    How do you plan to do this (softwarewise)?

That roof console is the mutts. Very well done there buddy
    Andy.

MY SITE

FFS rusty...thats 2 installs now for you too and i stiall aint done one!

great install dude. Mia must be very proud of her daddy!

looking good Rusty

really nice job there m8 :-) nice looking screen too. Let me know when your going for dual screens !

Thread Information