Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 360 Ferrari Kit car build with PC !

360 Ferrari Kit car build with PC !

PC Install starts around page 34 :-)

OK.. here goes..

this might be just another of my owww what a good idea and may never take off.. BUT it could also become a reality !

Now then I first need to decide what car I want.. I've done a bit of googling and sent a few emails off and I think I have got it down to about 3 cars..

1. Ferrari 360 coupe based on a 406 coupe based

2. Ferrari 360 spider based on the Mr2 Roadster

3. lamborghini murcielago based on a Mr2 Mk2

no image at present of the kit as its not finished yet... But I did find a utube video :-)

http://www.youtube.com/v/6Y9TSJ9EKBA

the real deal.. !!!

Now.. all these kits are going to cost roundabout a similar price, which is about £15,000 completed (thats the budget I have in mind)..

Pros and cons....

1. The 360 (406 pug based) has the advantage of having 4 seats a 3.0v6 engine (all be it upfront) . I like this idea becasue I could take my whole family out for a ride.. BUT the kit is more a bond job and you need to really hack up the 406 to get it to fit. I have also been reading how difficult it is to bond panels together without getting cracks later... This however is a near perfect match to the real 360 outside.

2.The 360 spyder (Mr2 Mk3 Roadster based) I do prefer the look of this one over the 360 coupe but I loose the option of taking the kids outs. However it would still be mid-engined. It is however in dimensions a couple of inchs shorter than the real deal and 1 inch lower. Apart from the doors this is more a bolt on kit which in my eyes would be easier to do myself.

3. The Lambo.. its not finished yet so there arnt any reports of the quality, if panels are bonded or just bolted.. the other concern for me is the car its based on. There a decent car I know but they have been out of production for some years now.

I am leaning towards option 2 at the moment being th 360 spyder although option 3 the lambo looks the dog's.. hmm but option1 means I would use it more with the kids in the back.. jezzz I cant decide !

What do you all think ?
    Last edited by CdRsKuLL; 03-12-2007 at 00:44.

If you get a 3.0 litre 406 before James does - there'll be hell to pay!!!!

I saw some of the MR2 kits at Doncaster car show a few years back and apart from the engine looking tiny (compared to a Ferrari one!) you couldn't tell the difference!

I'd say option 1 though - like you say, take the kids out in it!
    Best regards,

Darren

just to give you an idea of what sort of cut job the 406 is...

lol, u prob just said the word I did when I first saw it !

I saw a Max Power write up on the full 360 spider kit and they were well impressed with it, saying that it was well made with proper fitting panels etc, and the only way to tell the diference from the real deal at more that 10ft away was the exhaust note and the shape of the side windows.
    Andy.

MY SITE

Number 2 or 3 is deffinately looking more favourable - nmber 1 - what a waste of a good looking car!

O.. and then theres the doors..

which is a little scary for me

I'd give it a go!

If you have the time & tools then you could have one awesome car!

Plus, if you fit a pc to it (or even a few!!) you'll win again at DC 2009 hehe
    Best regards,

Darren

if you go for option 3, go for this as well: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42754

the roadster looks nice, but dont forget you live in britain! is it to be your only car or a second one?

2 Or 3 mate, very nice kits indeed, id go for 2 i think

Morecambe, Lancs, UK ( Just For The Moment )
    MMmm - I'll have to think about this one.... what sort of £ are you looking at ?

Terran

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy View Post
    Number 2 or 3 is deffinately looking more favourable - nmber 1 - what a waste of a good looking car!

but at least with number one there is the advantage of them both being styled by pininfarina

personally prefer the idea of number one, but thats just me

Asleep Now
    never been a fan of farraris, so would have to be a lambo for me, but personally im not a fan of fake supercars, id spend my money on something real if a little less flamboyant,

for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-CAB-WI...QQcmdZViewItem

that is special to me, each to their own though!
    [center]
    [url=http://www.skint-av.co.uk][IMG]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa120/stevebratt/carpics/sig4.png[/IMG][/url][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    never been a fan of farraris, so would have to be a lambo for me, but personally im not a fan of fake supercars, id spend my money on something real if a little less flamboyant,

for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-CAB-WI...QQcmdZViewItem

that is special to me, each to their own though!
    Ohh thats pretty cool, yeah if I had the money/space/time to do it I wouldn't go for a supercar kit car but then again each to their own and all that

ok just got off the phone to the guy who builds option 2 (360 spyder).. its defo seems like the easiest to do. Its basicly just a kit you bolt on to your Mk3 MR2 Roadster, he says it takes just a couple of weeks to get it ready for painting (they do it for you for an extra 2400, ready for paint.) but wheres the fun in that !

I would need to change the shocks and some wish bones, but thats not a problem. He also said the only filler in it is in the top of the doors and also the windscreen pillers where you need to blend it in. You would need to fill any blisters that appear when the body is baked before spraying, but I guess thats to be expected for a fibre kit. Also there is no wait time at all really. If I phoned up today I could have the kit here in under 2 weeks.. He has just sold there demo car (28k) and will have another one to view in 4 weeks time. So it might be worth going to have a look then. At the moment the costs would be..

Costs

6000 - Donor Car 2002 (52 plate or after) with 50,000 miles on the clock
    (reason for 52 plate or newer is so I cna use my plate I have)
    6500 - Basic kit
    1500 - wheels Tyres
    600 - Hood
    1000 - Lights + stickers etc..
    1500 - prep and paint
    2000 - unknown items..

Total - 19100

hmm Although this is higher than I would of liked, I could cut down alot by getting a older donor maybe and it does include 2g for finishing off and bits I most likley havent included.

but would end up with something like this.. but in RED

Funding it would be a bit of a problem mind.. lol I would have to sell my present mondeo st220 which I would hope to get over 10k for. But thats something I would have to check out. I would then need to source a runabout.. not a great problem and find a donor.. I already know a guy who could prep and paint it for me so thats no problem.. That just leaves me 10k short.. hmm If I sold a few things I never use + savings.. I could prob get 4k for them all (I do have lots of crap about).. so thats 6k from my bank manager please. (wife wont know about that one).. 6k for a ferrari 360 spyder - BARGAIN

the biggest problem I need to overcome is the WIFE .. hmm that might be tricky.. and even more tricky to convince her when I'm cutting up a decent roadster !

might go and buy her some flowers and start leaving 360 spyder pictures everywhere.. like in the fridge stuck to a milk bottle .. now theres a plan !

Thread Information