Thread: Dave's Astra G with Car PC

Dave's Astra G with Car PC

(Vauxhall) Opel Astra Mk4 2001 1.6 SXi

The car started as completely standard but has evolved over the years. I have added many features, some Car PC based and other just car based. I'm happy to answer any questions about the PC or the car :).

Here's a pic of the car as standard...

With the first iteration of the touchscreen...

And PC in the boot (nothings changed there )

I got the centre console customised to have the screen fitted...

And fitted it looks like this :)...

The car now looks like this...

The features I have added include steering wheel controls with K8055 to control PC, remote PC start using tailgate button on key fob, integrated dash indication for PC state and a timer delay to keep the PC alive whilst refulling.

There are many more details on the Astra Owners Club (see http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...40#post2413940) - I'm fairly sure non-members can view.

I am currently running a RideRunner/Sygic combo :).
    Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

Dave One Car PC Video

I have finally got around to making a video of my Car PC in action. The purpose is to demonstrate the touchscreen, steering and voice control functions. You'll have to excuse the recording that makes me sound like a scared robot, lol.

Touchscreen demonstration

This is self-explanatory really, just demonstrating how reactive the touchscreen is and a selection of menus.

Steering Wheel demonstration

The steering wheel interface can be programmed for specific menu and default to a standard. I also demonstrate short press functions such as next/previous track, volume up/down, play/pause; and long press (2 seconds) functions such as Audio Player, GPS, Main Menu and Microphone.

Voice demonstration

Although self-explanatory I should mention that pressing the steering wheel button activates the microphone and mutes the music. I have found this to be very accurate, even when driving on motorways with reasonably loud road noise or passenger (kids) messing about. This is largely due to its location just in front of me on the steering wheel cowling.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/...pse68b4284.mp4

Please feel free to PM or post on my comments thread with any queries at all, especially if you what a part of the demo explained more clearly :).

Thanks

Pics

Some pics so the car so far...

Reminds me of when i had my Astra Install :-)
    DaveMark - Moderator/Organizer

Quote Originally Posted by davemark View Post
    It should do, I 'borrowed' a few ideas from you .

Switch Identifiers

I've used Liam (Briggz) for my stickers and gel badges, of which I have always been impressed with, and this batch was no exception. I asked for gel domed badges in the same font, colour and style of my ashtray 'Dave One' logo, and he delivered to spec .

The badges are for the recently added dash switches and are:

PRK for Parking Sensors (to be added soon)
    RLD for Radar Laser Detector (the Snooper S6-R Neo recently added)
    USB for erm, USB port
    AMP for Amplifier(s) (I'll be adding a separate Sub Amp soon but this will control both)
    OBD for On-Board Diagnostics (to turn my PC PSU controlled power line to the ElmScan 5 OBD Reader)

Enough explanation, its pic time :).

Liam (Briggz) very kindly provided two sets as I'm off to my first AstraOwnersClub (AOC) meet tomorrow and want the dash to look complete, Cheers Liam .

A masking tape baseline and tweezers were used to line the little 12mm x 8mm stickers up...

In the car...

Quote Originally Posted by davemark View Post
    :-) glad it helped I regret selling the car
    DaveMark - Moderator/Organizer

Logitech DiNovo Mini Keyboard

Car PC time again..... For a while I have wanted a small wireless keyboard to stow more easily. After researching a while back I decided on a Logitech DiNovo Mini Wireless. It was just a case of waiting for the sun, moon and stars to align on eBay :).

Here's the Amazon image of the keyboard...

And here are some of the bits...

Here's the little fella :)...

And here it is stowed in the fuse box cubby...

The wireless transmitter/receiver is installed in the USB hub in the glove box and the range is more than adequate.

Hmm, I wonder if he can do the custom Gel stickers I require.

Can he do multicolour?

And ball park cost of those?
    Confusion says: All my post are now on topic.
    Enforcer Forum____________________________________________BMW Carputers Forum

I'll check with him to see whether I'm ok to forward his personal email, but shouldn't imagine that being a problem. I paid 10 delivered but he done me two sets :). I'll PM you later E :).

OK,, cool.

I want something a bit bigger, about 11cm wide by 1cm high. 3 - 4 colours ideally

so it'll be interesting to see what it will cost.
    Confusion says: All my post are now on topic.
    Enforcer Forum____________________________________________BMW Carputers Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    OK,, cool.

I want something a bit bigger, about 11cm wide by 1cm high. 3 - 4 colours ideally

so it'll be interesting to see what it will cost.
    E,

Liam is the guy that done pretty much all my graphics and said If you could forward on this email address info@amantisgraphics.co.uk as i use this for my graphics work that would be great.

I should think he'll be able to quote, and I did link this thread so he's aware of our conversation too :).

HTHs,
    Dave

Mk6 Steering Wheel Upgrade

The Astra Mk4 Steering Wheel...

The Astra Mk6 Steering Wheel...

Mk6 Steering Wheel illuminated

I just need to get my Fusion Brain v6 working to decipher the steering wheel resistive ladder to RR commands .
    Last edited by Dave; 18-12-2014 at 16:35.

I'll be getting around to finally sorting out my Zotac D2550itx wifi supreme board over the Christmas break - about time too......

Sony RM-X4S Remote for Car PC

Let the hacking continue... This time I've hacked a Sony RM-X4S Remote to Control my Car PC.

I already have the steering wheel controls for general control and heated seat switches converted for menu selection but the Sony RM-X4S Remote is a combination of the two. My steering wheel controls require investigation as the Mk6 conversion has not worked properly since installation - I just need to remove the steering wheel controls and check the wiring.

The Sony RM-X4S Remote has what's known as a resistive ladder internally. General resistive ladders are open circuit or very high resistance until a button is pressed. The button press allows the circuit to complete at a lower resistance to which the detection device reacts.

Here's my calculations for the Arduino sketch (program) - For anyone interested in more details drop me a PM...

Here's the Sony RM-X4S Remote (I have a new one for fitment to the car thanks to @autosparks)...

Next job is to create a loom to supply 5v (taken from the USB hub:)), a load resistor (in this case 4.7k), the Arduino Uno voltage monitoring lead and a 3.5mm female jack for the Sony RM-X4S Remote to plug into.

The lead completed - not bad for the prototype test lead :)...

And fitted in the car for testing...

When fitted properly I'll post a pick of the actual location, likely to be on the steering column.

Thread Information