Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob here.... nearly ready to start build!!!

well that's annoying... been waiting for a reply but turns out my post hadn't posted... doh!!

Having a few issues... couldn't get the touchscreen set up properly in linuxice so decided to go back to the idea of cutting down xp using nlite and running road runner/ride runner or whatever it's called..... but I can't seem to get it to work once i've cut it down...

anyone managed to cut it right down?? if so can I get a copy of the ini file so i can do it right... trying to use sp3 but the last time it was telling me that my key was invalid.... though it has been valid for the last 10 or so years....

or is there a way to strip it down once installed?

ta!

Quote Originally Posted by shugs81 View Post
    or is there a way to strip it down once installed?

ta!

well yes and no

you would have trouble removing the files once installed without breaking stuff

but you can just go to msconfig and disable all the servicees you dont need whitch helps boot up and speed a little
    id also recommend bootvis. i wont explain how it works there's plenty on the net for that just search

if you have the hard drive space i wouldnt worry about using nlite. i didnt bother in the end i just used a solid state and bootvis and my pc cold starts to fully working in 16 secs
    witch is just about the same time as it takes the screen to turn on
    if its broke, fix it......if it ant broke, mod it!
    astra mk4 LS install home theatre/sever pc

I'm using a 2gb compact flash card... will give it a go...

Quote Originally Posted by shugs81 View Post
    I'm using a 2gb compact flash card... will give it a go...
    risky would never recommend less than 10gb for an os. why not get a cheap laptop drive there not exactly costly
    if its broke, fix it......if it ant broke, mod it!
    astra mk4 LS install home theatre/sever pc

just cause i have it to hand.... the cf card is literally having the os and front end on it and nothing else... all media will be a usb hdd.... was why i was trying to strip xp down... had it down to 100mb installation... think i may have got carried away!! lol!

Have you looked at any of the 'pre-cut' versions of xp? There are several around, although some are cut to much to allow a front-end to operate.

stealthe

Might have a look if i can't manage to get it right...

meh... give up.... buying a 16gb cf card as the 2gb one has died... so as the full installation of xp only took 18sec to boot and every time i've tried to strip xp down it failed.... although i've just found tinyxp which is looking promising!! as I'm going back to windows i've decided i might as well put some bells and whistles on it!! and having a bit more space to put things on helps too!

I'm thinking about a usb dab reciever and a usb GPS unit... The main reason for the dab is that i've read somewhere that they are trying to phase out fm for dab, possibly dab+ would be better... tho that won't get used too much from me... it's more for the mrs... does xfm or the other "internet" radio's adaptor things work free or would i need a internet connection?

i've seen the GlobalSat BU-353 which looks spot on but I don't know what would be the best free gps software... any help with that?

Have you looked in the GPS section on here? Igo seems to be the most popular at the moment, with sygik in second place. Your choice may be influenced by what front-end you intend to use.
    The same goes for the DAB, a few options around but varying support from the front-ends.

stealthe

Thread Information