Thread: Keep blowing a fuse!

Keep blowing a fuse!

For some reason i keep blowing my 15 amp (I think, 10amp?) inline fuse that is on the main cable connected to the battery.

Replacing it allows it to work for several days/journies with centrafuse/garmin/music going but then out of no where everything will due & the fuse will have blown.

I have blown 2 fuses like this in the last few weeks and before I replace it again can anyone suggest any reasons why it take so long for the fuse to blow? I am running a fairly powerful carPC (specs below) but it has been fine for several months & only now does it seem to be blowing them. Could I use a 20amp fuse?

Cheers guys

Genuine m2 ATX 150w PSU
    2.8ghz e550 core 2 duo
    Gigabyte ATX motherboard
    2gb 800mhz Corsair DDr2 RAm
    60gb SSD
    mid/budget spec PCI Soundcard

Your fuse should match your cable so don't just uprate it on it's own. But 15amps might be borderline if you are drawing near 150W and the voltage dips.

Thanks mate, cable shouldn't be an issue, it's a fairly chunky one (8 gauge? possible 10gauge?). Will try a 20amp fuse next time, it just seemed odd the PC would work fine for time enough, then just randomly pop.

Something must be drawing more current than usual when it blows. Can be anything really - CPU under heavy load pulling more power from your m2, heavy part of a song pulling more from the HU/amp, etc. Bigger fuse ftw.

It could also be your alternator/battery dropping voltage.

New issue, replaced the fuse & it blew instantly, put in a 20amp fuse and it seemed fine only until I checked the m2 ATX fuse 15amp and that had blown! . Will I have caused any damage to the m2 ATX or will it's fuse have saved it?

This was with all the equipment turned off! Does this mean I have a short somewhere?

occasionally fuses do just blow but
    if the equipment was off then yes its probably a short or a circuit fault
    if its broke, fix it......if it ant broke, mod it!
    astra mk4 LS install home theatre/sever pc

Ah damn, haven't changed or altered the setup at all so no idea what could be causing it. Will have to have a poke around this evening!

Not had a chance to look at this again but yeah, from what i can remember the fuse (battery) blew with the system turned on. Turned everything off (inc car) and put new 15amp fuse in (this blew instantly again). Put 20amp fuse in, and was fine. Turned carPC on and it blew the 15amp fuse on the PSU.

Im confused now lol

If it blew instantly when you put it in before you turned anything on then you have a short or you've wired it up backwards or something like that.

The fuses should match the wiring and check for possible moisture that may get into the system and cause shortages.

Thread Information