Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car time

Advanced Member

New car time

hey...been doing the "green" thing and taking her majesty's bus service for 2 years now and am really sick of it, so want to buy a car again. I'll just pay for petrol and smile and remember the fond days of the bus.

So, choices. I've been on autotrader and pistonheads and ebay like crazy to see what is out there.

budget, 0-10k, preferably on the lower end.
    contestants
    BMW E39 m5
    porsche boxster
    mg tf

Some of the above make economic sense, some use lotsa petrol, and some look flash but dont really go. I'd ideally like a convertible, with steptronic/tiptronic/flappy paddle whatevers. But I dont like run of the mill cars. Something...unique?

I could push to a e46 m3 in Laguna Seca blue if I could find one that hasnt been chavved too much.

So people of the forum, have I missed any obvious models out? Which other cars maybe fit the above suitably-vague guidelines?

<edit>
    I like this porsche http://www.autobahnsussex.com/presti...tible_2468.htm as it has the gt bodykit, but no aircon and no clear lights and plain wheels

I like this porsche http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/1?logcode=p but it doesnt have the leather dash, just all plain black acres of plastic. But it does have aircon and it does have the clear lights and nice wheels, but no bodykit.

I like this m3 http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p but dont like what has happened to the interior with the body colouring

..somewhere around London preferably?

P.S. I'm branching into SIP trunks if anybody wants some connectivity for their pabx.
    Last edited by warren; 24-08-2010 at 22:15.

Honda S2000

Although an MG TF was on my list for a while too
    ~Rob - Proving more posts don't mean more knowledge

Advanced Member
    thought of that, and an RX8. still dont know...really, I am stumped this time round. The toyota celica (post 2004 version) is also quite pretty, but no voooooommmm. the rx8 I have heard is still fragile, the audi tt is too girly and everybody has one of them. The TF is a bit too hairdressery. The e46 is a bit drug-dealery (sorry E, not meant like that), the boxster handles great, but maybe too girly? and the engine is so enclosed you have to have it up on a ramp to do anything.

the e39 m5 has got rear subframe issues...the list goes on. I have always loved the 8-series bmw's, but @ group 20 insurance, zero MPG and not very fast, 2 seats and no convertible roof I am sure I can find better.

Which other models? There must be a car out there for warren.

Mazda 6 mps? Can get a tidy model within your budget. Even Golf R32s and Audi A3 S-lines fall into budget! :p

Looking at the cars you are thinking about i think you need to make a decision on what type of car you want first as an M5 and MGTF are at the opposite ends of the scale really.

What do you care about most?
    MPG
    Convertible
    4 doors
    speed
    style
    poshness
    Put these in order of priority and we'll go from there. you can get some cracking cars for under 10k
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fast View Post
    Your taste in music has been reported to the mods!!

MX5?

Merc SLK?

MX5?

Merc SLK?

Advanced Member
    I saw the merc slk and liked it, but the "mclaren" front version is out of my price range, and the older one has an ugly front IMHO

<-----------LOOK, MY GARAGE IS EMPTY

in an effort to narrow this down, as per kennyken

top to bottom

insurance group
    MPG
    poshness
    style
    speed (I dont want less than 200hp)
    convertible
    4 doors
    I understand I would be looking at group 16+ for everything I have browsed for far. I'm also willing to flip all the priorities in any direction given the right car. Age is pretty irrelevant.

oh, the confusion.....

Those are very contradicting wants.

Low insurance and high mpg but more than 200hp....convertible...4 doors...

ditch the number of doors and tell us how many usable seats you want.

Budget might help.

Also top of your list should be dash suitable for carPC!

Lol if anything i think your post has made it even harder to choose a type of car you want.

Have you tried buying an auto trader and just picking a page at random and buying one of the first car you see?

In all seriousness, what about a 4 seater convertible diesel with a large engine, like a 330CD Sport convertible

In terms of the list it stacks up as:
    MPG 40 (combined)
    poshness
    style
    BHP 205
    convertible
    4 doors 4 seats is close
    age 2005 onwards

Only downside is they are at the top end of your budget and up. You should be able to pick one up for 10k though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Fast View Post
    Your taste in music has been reported to the mods!!

Advanced Member
    I did look at the 330ci bmw and I do like that, not quite group 20, good looking, goes well. 4 srats and 4 doors.
    I dont really care for 4 doors or 4 seats, but if I had to make a choice I would say 4 seats more important than 4 doors. Maybe a 330ci in 2 door, topless...hmmm
    ok, gonna go have a look-see

Advanced Member
    I did look at the 330ci bmw and I do like that, not quite group 20, good looking, goes well. 4 srats and 4 doors.
    I dont really care for 4 doors or 4 seats, but if I had to make a choice I would say 4 seats more important than 4 doors. Maybe a 330ci in 2 door, topless...hmmm
    ok, gonna go have a look-see

Advanced Member
    <---- look at my garage... :-)

(P.S. goes like stink! took a run from london to brighton today, bloody marvellous)
    Last edited by warren; 03-05-2011 at 00:24.

Short-cut to warrens garage.
    What no pics!

stealthe

Thread Information