Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail A**HOLES

Royal Mail A**HOLES

So I ordered some part for my airbrush from a very nice seller in the USA.

She sent me loads of bits for only $3 postage as it would all fit in an envelope and as her prices were very reasonable I ordered some extra bits to give me the option of using thicker paint as I am ordering these bits to fix my old airbrush to use to finish my PhD (ie using my own money to try and get things done).

Total parts came to 23.

I get a card from Royal Mail saying they won't deliver as I owe them 12.60 in customs charges.

After some research it seems I need to pay 4.60 in VAT as the parts are over the 18 threshold and the Royal Mail have already paid this VAT charge and added their own 8 handling fee.

So...on a total order of 23 (25 including postage) I end up spending >50% more in charges. The VAT I don't mind but 8 handling fee is taking the pi$$.

After all the strikes this Xmas meaning I had to pay for more couriers etc and go out and buy 2nd presents as ones I had ordered did not arrive and fees like this I really hope that Royal Mail goes bust.

These charges are pretty clear, it seems to be your mistake not to make sure they put the value down as 18 or less or check the charges in advance. They have to handle packages for VAT/excise charging, etc. seperately so it seems perfectly reasonable to charge you a small fee for the added admin (which is the same amount of effort regardless of the value of the contents and priced accordingly)

Royal mail are scumbags but at least keep the moaning about the really crappy things they do rather than your own lack of research.

But.

1. lying about value is against the law.

2. they do not give you any other option. I would be more than happy to pay Customs and Excise directly via internet or post but I am not even given the option.

I do not have any contract with Royal Mail regarding the paying of VAT on my behalf.

Also their charges state that it's for paying customs charges. Now there is a customs duty for anything over 135 which is disregarded if under 9. But with VAT they are free to charge you 8 even if the VAT due is 1p.

They put their charges up from 4 to 8 a few years back. I would like to see how they justify it.

AND you then have to go and collect the item from them!

oh no. I can pay online and have it delivered. Wonder if they add P&P.

tbh regardless of if I had done my research or not the point is the same really - how do they justify an 8 admin charge for something that should have an efficient system in place and they have a monopoly from Customs & Excise to do? The only way I could get my goods delivered is to pay their admin charge as I cannot pay the VAT any other way.

The whole point they are the sole provider of the service is they HAD a monopoly as they were the national mail carrier. They are now just abusing their position to put up prices.

I just wish another company could get the rights to use post boxes and they could have a race every morning to get the post and provide the cheapest service - that would stop the b*stards putting up prices and going on strike.

Advanced Member
    But it's not exactly a monopoly as you have got it UPSed (who take cash on delivery for customs fees).

not if you want to sent by the USPS.

If you use a non-standard delivery method (ie courier) then you pay VAT on the postage charge too.

No matter what you do you can't win. Pay a fortune for the postage service, pay admin fees, pay extra tax etc etc.

Next time I will make sure I get the seller to split the shipment. I will have to pay twice the postage but will avoid fees and VAT.

Advanced Member
    Lol yes but USPS go to Royal Mail when in this country. If you want it sent by USPS then you want it sent by Royal Mail here as they're part of the same thing.

It's like paying entry to a club and then complaining that you can only buy your drinks from that club. Once you choose the route you go down (either that club or that club over there) then you're committed to give them you're business. It's not a monopoly at all.

If you don't want to pay the Royal Mail fees then you get it shipped with a company who don't use Royal Mail as the UK domestic carrier, like UPS. They don't charge admin fees that I remember, and collect cash when they drop your item off to you. Simples!

it's more like a charge to let you get back out of the club again!

The other issue is the package has been held up by them as I had been expecting it to be delivered. They are not allowed to hold up a delivery due to fees by law. A package can be held up due to unpaid customs charges but as they have already paid them then they are no longer outstanding so they should deliver and then charge me.

That is covered by sections 104, 105, 83 and 84 of postal regulations that say there must be no intentional delay.

where you expecting a VAT charge?
    if its broke, fix it......if it ant broke, mod it!
    astra mk4 LS install home theatre/sever pc

not on the items as they are all worth $3-11 and whenever I get stuff from China around that price there is no charges.

But they use the total amount which was 5 over the cut-off.

Being charged 8 for a 4.60 charge....

Advanced Member
    The charge amount is fairly irrelevant as it's to cover the admin and paperwork costs associated with handling the charge.

What you are saying doesn't apply because in this case royal mail is acting as an agent for customs. So you not paying can delay delivery.

Also it is customs who set how much they can charge in admin and this is the same regardless of the value/size package or the complexity of the admin. So while it seems unfair to you, there are probably far more times when people are getting off cheap with bigger parcels.

If you consider that a bank can charge 12 for writing you a letter, 8 to seperate out your package, notify you and collecting the fees really isn't that bad. Is it worth it for small packges? Probably not, but you always have the choice to use a different carrier or purchase from the uk instead.

Yeah it is dubious but most stuff from china is valued 18 and/or marked as a gift to avoid these charges. You've prolly got away with not paying charges that you should have on other packages.

There are a lot of hoops to jump through for importing stuff into the UK properly, you shouldn't forget that we are pretty lucky to be able to skip all that hassle for small items. Previously it just wouldn't be feasible at all.
    Last edited by ElKeeed; 17-08-2010 at 18:39.

you are basically right - they have no right to hold the package.

Infact, as this happened to me recently, i did a bit of digging. They are as close to breaking the law that I would say they actually are.

I have heard of recent cases where people just went to the depot and demanded their items, and it was given to them. in fact, if you call up the line to contest the handling charge, they direct you straight to the head office. they dont even bother trying to get you to pay it - to me that says they know what they are doing is wrong.

for those of you trying to justify what royal mail are doing, you should look into it a bit further. a few years ago, a few random parcels were stopped. ever since customs and excise contracted the work to royal mail, it seems their policy is to now stop every item, find one over 18 (even 20 will do) and then make their profit buy charging their handling charge.

fyi, i just paid the charge because the depot was a little to far from me.

Asad

I'm sorry, their policy is to find parcels that should be charged and charge them? How outrageous!?

Plus you are talking rubbish, the parcel goes to an HRMC section and is held there till you pay. You have no right for it to be released until you have paid the relevant duties. You can pay only the duties and not their handling fee before it is released but you still need to legally pay the handling fee eventually so you would be no better off. The Royal Mail is contracted by HRMC to charge VAT, import duty etc and apply their own 8 to cover the admin cost. The bottom line is if you don't want to pay duties then don't import things.
    Last edited by ElKeeed; 18-08-2010 at 00:33.

Thread Information