Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ideas for low-cost ultra flat machine

Quote Originally Posted by Baj View Post
    I dont want a sodding laptop! I am not dumb!
    Does your laptop only show images and maybe some Flash?
    Flash is not lightweight. You can't run it on a very low spec machine.

I have already explained why I do not want to take a seperate laptop in so will not bother trying again.
    Taking in a cd/usb stick is good up until the point where I pull it out and discover there are no PCs in the room. Most interviews I have had are in designated meeting rooms, not offices. No PCs.
    If you say in advance that you need a pc/laptop to show something on then most places would set one up for you. But then we are back to them wondering why you didn't just bring your own already set up.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...P08-1-A65HZ&T=[[ID]]

Build an old PDA onto it or a netbook.

Quote Originally Posted by ElKeeed View Post
    Flash is not lightweight. You can't run it on a very low spec machine.
    Funny, my low spec LG Viewty runs it OK.

Just to clear up a few things for people.

I had an idea for something. Not a cast iron make myself rich scheme. An idea.
    One that possibly might be able to be taken further if it was viable.
    I asked for some hardware suggestions from people who might have a better knowledge of what is out there than me.

I don't really want interview tips, thanks.

The reasons why I dont slip a thin laptop in the back is: wait for it....

I dont have one!

Theres no need to get in a huff about it or act all confrontational. People are just trying to make alternative suggestions seeing as your idea isn't really practical yet.

Incidently, phones arnt that low spec and are only cheap because they are subsidised by the networks. Unfortunately they are hard to hack because they are so minaturised otherwise one might make a good starting point for what you suggested.

I hope your phone can run flash considering it's entire interface is written in it lol... Your phone is designed to run flash, and only flash, it has nothing else to hog resources etc.

And the phone sim free costs around 180-220 at present, depending on what deals are on... Only a fraction less than a small notebook!

There is a need to get in a huff.
    Maybe every wild thought that runs through your head is the pinnicle of perfection but for the rest of us we have a fish about to check the viability.
    When the tone of many posts is 'haha you are a cretin' (see above for example) then one gets defensive.

Apologies to those who did give sensible suggestions but I shall now consider this thread closed.

Even the smartest person can have a stupid idea. I don't think anyone's tone was against you rather than the idea itself.

Personally I don't think its good to humour an idea which can't stand up to at least a little criticism. When you watch something like Dragon's Den or whatever you see so many people who blindly pushed on with an idea because it's their baby and wasted so much time and money on something that to an outsider seems very unlikely to have ever been a success.

But I'm sorry if anything I said came across as putting you down, without wacky ideas a lot of things wouldn't have been invented, so I certainly wouldn't want to put people off suggesting them. Better to have 99 ideas shot down in flames and 1 great one than to have no ideas at all.

Thread Information