Thread: One HDD or 2 ???

One HDD or 2 ???

Hi everyone - its just past christmas and i am trying to update my CarPC; but i wanna do it with a bit more of a chnage rather than just the standard HDD install...

If anyone has done or has any advice all is very much appreciated...

I am thinking of using an 8GB Flash Disk Module (something like http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12122 maybe) as my main Hard Disk... - i.e. i want to install my windows install on here and then cut it down, all the drivers, all updates and finally Centrafuse...

next i want to have a SSD drive as my main storage centre (something like http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-OC&tool=3)for all my music, videos, pictures and recordings from my rear view cam (also to be installed in this version...

or should i use a smaller SSD for this start up drive...

will my selected drives be big enough to do what i want or will adding two drives just confuse things - i mean is there really any advantage or is it a waste of time...

any ideas

many thanks

tom

- hope you all had a wikd new year - cant wait for this years show
    Last edited by HUMMER87; 17-01-2009 at 16:25.

Advanced Member
    I've got to ask.......Why would you want two drives........

One for OS and programs, the other for music, films etc.

That's what I have at present.
    Confusion says: All my post are now on topic.
    Enforcer Forum____________________________________________BMW Carputers Forum

yeah so it keeps accessing down to a minimum - i.e. windows only loads software my other driver will just take files and thats all it will have - has anyone every used the flash drives from linitx???

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post

Yeah but in a CarPC you're trying to keep everything as low powered and specced as possible to reduce heat and power disspated.......

wouldnt go 2 mechanical drives but deffo worth getting one SSD for OS.

yeah the SSD for my files is a defo... i mean i want to use it for its speed, read and write abilities and obviously no moving parts so it wont have any issue over speed bumps lol

my problem is what to make as a drive for my operating system - am doing a bit of reading and it seems people would install windows on my main SSD then have a small flash drive which stores the boot.ini and other files form the windows drive to allow it to boot from the flash drive - but i dont have any know how in this field so am out of ma depth...

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gepard View Post
    Yeah but in a CarPC you're trying to keep everything as low powered and specced as possible to reduce heat and power disspated.......
    Yes and Nn.

It's always a compromise.
    Confusion says: All my post are now on topic.
    Enforcer Forum____________________________________________BMW Carputers Forum

Just for info, I live on a road with several full-width speedbumps and more craters than Mars in between them so my machine is booting while I navigate these. I have yet to have HDD probs.

LMFAO yeah a road near me could easily be mis named as the luna surface and i to have yet to have any problems however i have noticed that over time my drive seems to be reacting differently now from when it first went it... any way its the 2 drive issue i am concerned about putting together - however i was thinking last night - if i do go for a SSD drive (which i am) they boot quicker anyway so would there really be any advantage to having two seperate drives - i mean which ever SSD drive i put in will be faster than my seagate 100gb 7200 drive anyway...

Advanced Member
    Hummer if it were I'd get a larger SSD and then partition it. That way as it's bigger it'll last you longer and being SSD anyway you're unlikely to encounter as many problems as a normal drive. And keeping to one drive will mean less power draw important as SSD need more than a normal one anyway.....

yeah one SSD i think will be better in the long run - saves time and like you say if i dual partition it then well its divided isnt it so keeping things seperate...

thanks

Thread Information