Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iGO8 FAQ -FINALLY!! [noobs read here first, before asking]

iGO8 FAQ -FINALLY!! [noobs read here first, before asking]

Right, I went through the first 40 pages of the iGO thread and pulled out the questions and answers. You might notice a theme to the answers.

Q. Did you have anything to do with creating this app.
    A. No, I just learned how to read their code and traced the basic functions fo the program. All I did was create a skin, and add in some of the more popular changes that are currently being added by skinners for the PDA version.

Q. Is this a demo version?
    A. Yes, there is no official PC version that was released from NavNGo. The version we are all using is the original demo with the time restriction removed.

Q. Are all of the features in the PDA version available in the PC version.
    A. No. Niet. Neine. Non This version was created so that NavNGo could demo the functionality of the program. Other features were added to the PDA version that DO NOT exist in the PC version, and there is nothing that we can do about it... so stop asking, seriously.

Q. Where are the settings?
    A. The majority of the settings are in the sys_pc.txt file, some are self explanatory others require some experimantation to set them to your preference.

Q. Does iGO8 embed in _______ nicely?
    A. Technically speaking, iGO8 can embed in any front end just the same as any other app. The limitation is that the window WILL NOT resize without the use of athird party program like iGOZoomer or iGO-Mysize. I would recommend that if you are running a skin at 800*600, you do not need to use a third party app to resize it, just make the area in the skin the same size as the application window itself.

Q. WHen I click on Flyover, iGO8 seems to crash?
    A. No fix for this exists yet, and it's a known issure with the demo. If you click simulate first, stop the simulation, then click on Flyover, it plays fine.

Q. Anyone here able to get it to run at 800x480 or 800x600? It will only run 480x272 for me....I must be doing something wrong?
    A. The current Skins available are all based off of the 400x240 skin within iGO. It is possible to modify the window size, but that does not change the size of the app, only the window it is displayed in. In the Sys_pc.txt file you have 3 settings:

highres=1 - 1 = Makes the program double the display, 0 = runs the program at it's native resolution
    screen_x=800 - width of the window
    screen_y=480 - Height of the window

Q. Can I change the size of the car cursor.
    A. Short answer is yes, in the sys_pc.txt change these lines in the [map] section:
    3d_scale_carmodel=1 (allows it to scale)
    3dcarsizemin=4000 (smallest it can be)
    3dcarsizemax=6000 (largest it can be)
    3dcarsizemul=60000 (no clue)

Play with the numbers until you like the size of it.

Q. Change fontsize of the streets on the map?
    A. In the sys_pc.txt file, in the [3d_config] section change this line:
    roadsign_lines_per_screen=25 (larger number means smaller text)

Q. For some odd reason, when I run at 800x600 resolution it loads off screen, yet when i load at 1024x768 it displays centrally. Any ideas how i can get around this?
    A. Two part issue. First, if the resolution you are using is the same as the window iGO is displaying (ie. 800x600 resolution and 800x480 window) the program will not display. Something of a limitation that it thinks it cannot draw completely, so stops trying. changing the window width and height to 10 pixels less than the resolution usually helps, or adding in border=0 to the [rawdisplay] section in sys_pc.txt has also been said to work. Second part, you can define the starting position of the program in the sys_pc.txt file in the [rawdisplay section] by adding/modifying these lines:
    posy=0
    posx=0

If you do not define the position, the app will open in the centre of your screen if it can fit itself.

Q. The program stops every second or so, then jumps to the GPS postion, why?
    A. This is a possible theory and not the only answer, but the program interopolates your speed and heading and has to readjust itself based on the information from the gps reciever, I get the hiccup every few seconds where it jumps back or forwards a few meters on the screen. It's still better than the 1 second update if iG in my mind I can deal with it. The other issue may be with your GPS reciever not being as accurate as other ones.

Q. Can I use the skins out there for the PDA Version.
    A. No, Niet, Non, Niene. Again, there are features in the PDA version that do not exist in the PC version. Stop asking.

Q. My iGO starts up REALLLLY Slow, how can I fix it?
    A. Generally, if you delete the SpeedcamUpdates.spud file, it speeds it up considerably.

Q. Speedcam alerts are not working, is there a fix?
    A. At this time, no. It is being worked on, when someone figures it out, it will doubtlessly be posted. Stop asking.

Q. How do I get TMC working.
    A. I don't have it here in North America, but Rug figured it out for you lot
    This is great!

I managed to get TMC working I put this in sys_pc.txt:

[tmc]
    source="gns"
    port=5
    baud=38400

And I used gpstmc.dll from PC Navigator 7 as the one in Igo seemed to be for something else than windows (gave me an error when Igo started). Only problem is that my TMC reciever had bad reception under the dash where it is mounted... Might need to get a splitter to use the regular stereo arial for TMC as well.

One problem to solve though. Since my GPS is on the same COM port, when TMC is enabled, Igo will not find my GPS.

Navigator does not have a problem with this. I will have to play with the settings a bit more to see if I can get it to work. Maybe I shouldn't specify the port? I don't have to in Navigator... I'll play with it tomorrow. Too cold to
    sit in the car now.

Q. What does setting the highres to 0 actually do?
    A. The current skins are 400x240 native. Setting the Highres to 0 displays the app as normal, and setting it to 1

displays the app at double the size without simply doubling the pixel (other than the interface graphics). Fonts and the actual map is resized accordingly.

Q. I get a guidance language error, WTF??
    A. In sys_pc.txt, change use_big_lang_flag=1 to use_big_lang_flag=0. That error is because the language file you have has no big flag image file.

Q. Everything is in [insert foerign unreadable non-english language], how can I fix that?
    A. (From Flibblebot)
    Click on settings (the spanner in my original pic)
    Click on regional (middle button on right, the one with the flag)
    Click on top button (whatever "Program Language" is in Russian )
    Choose language
    Click OK (largest button on the bottom row)

Q. Can I set my Home position on the map without a GPS attached.
    A. Yes, but you have to do it before you start the program the first time or erase all of your files in the save folder and readjust any settings. In the sys_pc.txt file in the [gps] section, enter the desired position in decimal coords:
    default_latitude=
    default_longitude=

Q. How do I get speedcams to show on the map?
    A. (Beezer) Here's a HOWTO for Speed Cams in iGO 8

1) Download the Pocket GPS speed cams, either ASC format, Tom Tom OV2 format or even old style iGO TXT format. If you have an iGO TXT file, then ignore step 2.

2) Download Export2iGO from here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...wtopic&t=55769 &

install & run it. Follow the instructions to convert your ASC or OV2 file to old style iGO TXT.

3) Your converted file will be in the export2igo\txt directory. Run the radars utility http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/a...1&d=1203873363 to convert it to spud format. Just extract radars.bat and radars.exe to the export2igo\txt directory & run the bat.

4) copy the spud to igo\content\speedcam directory.

You will notice iGO takes longer to load, but it does appear to work ok. I see icons on the map for the speed cams but I havn't been out for a drive yet to confirm it alerts me.
    "the universe has a way of balancing itself"
    "Trailers are for boats, not cars!"

STOP ASKING ME FOR LINKS TO THE IGO8 APP, FIND THEM IN THE THREAD

Q. I'm getting "Failed to open ctype.dat exiting application" when I embed in _____.
    A. For some reason, the app will only start if it share the same directory as the front end that is trying to launch it.

Q. how do I save the settings...ie the GPS settings don't remain after a re-start?
    A. (Rug) You have to put your gps settings in the sys_pc.txt file. Like this:

[gps]
    port="7"
    baud="38400"
    protocol="nmea"
    set_messages="0"

Q. Are there no resizing tools that will work on packed graphics?
    A. Yes and no. (Beezer) No, iGO use their own packing method. There's a tool which will unpack but it only works on less than half of the images. I guess they updated the packing method in iGO8. I've tried to email the author but he's not responding. (Spawn) there is a tool that used to be on the pdamill forums that could uncompress EVERY image in the folders... only problem was that it couldn't recompress them again. Short answer... no.

Q. Where can I find TTS voices?
    A. http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/s...&postcount=436 now stop asking.

Q. The links are dead, can you tell me where to find ____.
    A. Without being too much of a prick, no. The files get deleted from RS due to complaints from the actual company, as technically you are redistributing their property. Either that or the uploader deletes it himself. This is why I only distribute the data zip for the skin and not the program. This includes PM'ing me and asking for it. DON'T

Q. What would be nice is that if we have an icon on a side to toggle the building on and off.

A. That is in 2 places in the normal pc version. if you click on the left side of the map screen where you have the indicators for battery and satellite strength, you will get a menu with the button to remove the buildings (bottom row, second from the left) or alternately you can go settings->Visual->3D Settings and set Buildings Rendering Distance to off.

Q. Where i can find this skin? Can you tell me the instructions or details?
    A. if it's not in this thread, it's in the iGO thread, as are the instructions. STOP ASKING

Q. Can I set my Home position on the map without a GPS attached.

A. Yes, but you have to do it before you start the program the first time or erase all of your *.sav files in the save folder and readjust any settings. In the sys_pc.txt file in the [gps] section, enter the desired position in decimal coords:
    default_latitude=
    default_longitude=
    Last edited by Spawn; 27-08-2009 at 02:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    Q. Are there no resizing tools that will work on packed graphics?
    A. Yes and no. (Beezer) No, iGO use their own packing method. There's a tool which will unpack but it only works on less than half of the images. I guess they updated the packing method in iGO8. I've tried to email the author but he's not responding. (Spawn) there is a tool that used to be on the pdamill forums that could uncompress EVERY image in the folders... only problem was that it couldn't recompress them again. Short answer... no.
    I found this utility that will unpack/pack all the images.

iGO8Converter.zip

I then struggled for a package that would resize images & retain the 32bit ARGB format. Eventually, I found this one that works. http://www.fotosizer.com/

If you want something to edit and save ARGB 32bit BMP, I found that Gimp works.
    Last edited by Beezer; 09-09-2008 at 16:49.

Asleep Now
    im having trouble gettin igo 8 going on the car pc. ive downloaded a the program and had it workin on the pc in the house, but when i try to put the program onto the car pc and try and load igo nothing happens except a taskbar icon appears(try clicking it and nothing happens) do i need to have somthing running along side i go to get it running on the car pc? ive been searching for ages and carnt find any answers. can anyone point me in the right direction?
    [SIZE="1"]Intel d201gly2a, M2 atx, 1gb RAM 120gb 2.5" sata hdd, Wifi, BT ,slimiline DVD drive
    7" touchscreen fiberglassed in
    FreeIce FE
    Sat nav with BT GPS reciver(having problems!)[/SIZE]

What resolution is your screen? What resolution is the skin you're trying to load?

Asleep Now
    im just trying to load up the program on the desktop. 600x400 im running
    [SIZE="1"]Intel d201gly2a, M2 atx, 1gb RAM 120gb 2.5" sata hdd, Wifi, BT ,slimiline DVD drive
    FreeIce FE

I'm getting the same now. 1280x1024 and 1024x768 run fine.

As soon as I switch to 800x600 it becomes invisible. I'll investigate more tonight
    ~Rob - Proving more posts don't mean more knowledge

Seeing as no one has said it yet, Thanks for sorting though the crud and creating the FAQ

Exploded Penguin and Rob, that's answered in the FAQ

Q. For some odd reason, when I run at 800x600 resolution it loads off screen, yet when i load at 1024x768 it displays centrally. Any ideas how i can get around this?
    A. Two part issue. First, if the resolution you are using is the same as the window iGO is displaying (ie. 800x600 resolution and 800x480 window) the program will not display. Something of a limitation that it thinks it cannot draw completely, so stops trying. changing the window width and height to 10 pixels less than the resolution usually helps, or adding in border=0 to the [rawdisplay] section in sys_pc.txt has also been said to work.
    Second part, you can define the starting position of the program in the sys_pc.txt file in the [rawdisplay section] by adding/modifying these lines:
    posy=0
    posx=0

Asleep Now
    Sorted! thanks very much for the help. i was just being a bit thick and didnt realise this question was already answered! thanks guys
    and thanks to spawn for sorting the faq,
    790 x 550 im running i go at. the boarder=0 is great for embeding (removes the windiow its displayed in.)
    FreeIce FE

Dunno if anyone has experienced the same problem but now i have IGO embedded in freeice when i have freeice playing music and running igo; when i click certain buttons within igo the music cuts out for a second.
    My system is an itom 1.6 dual core.

Interestingly when i run igo seperately and freeice i got no music cutting out problems no matter what buttons i click and how click i force the system.

I have tried igozoomer, igomy-size and igo on its own when embedding if any of that will make a difference.

I get the same. I thought it was a processor thing. Then I ran iGo and radio at the same time. Clicking menu paused the radio and then went to play music from my playlist. Looks like it's sending out a trigger when you click on a button :?
    ~Rob - Proving more posts don't mean more knowledge

Thats exactly my thought but it doesnt always happen on the same button.

Asleep Now
    Thanks a lot !

time for a bump, perhaps making it a sticky

Thread Information