PDA

View Full Version : Customs duty when buying from the US...

SamDude
20-01-2005, 16:14
What is the likelyhood of customs sifting out a package from the US?

For example if I order something from the mp3car store or from DigitalWW - would they pick up on it even if its marked as a gift?

ScoobyT23
20-01-2005, 21:30
I have never paid duty on a gift or product sample

but i have paid plenty on item's that the sender wouldnt mark as a gift

stevieg
20-01-2005, 23:14
If I recall correctly isn't it if the item is worth over $40 that you are liable for duty?

andyhardy
21-01-2005, 04:59
I think the value is 18 GBP - anything above that cannot be classed as a gift.

You might be lucky and get a gift passed through customs, but if they open up the box and find the value of the item is higher than the 18 limit they will hold the package at the delivery company warehouse and you'll have to pay them the customs charge and the courier an administration fee.

The US Postal Service send UK parcels through Parcel Force around here and the administration charge is 15! :shock:

When buying a DIN foldout case from Armen at DigitalWW it cost me 9 in customs charges and the 15 charge!

Still - the price of the US Dollar more than makes up for it at this point in time.

Cheers,

Andy

loudhoward
12-03-2005, 19:46
What is the likelyhood of customs sifting out a package from the US?

For example if I order something from the mp3car store or from DigitalWW - would they pick up on it even if its marked as a gift?

When I bought my OPUS 90 from mp3car.com I got hit with 27 charge in import tax.. :cry: on top of the $130 cost to purchase.

Should have bought an M1-ATX from LinITX 45 delivered - hind sight is a wonderful thing...

18 is the limit and I believe that they are cracking down.. pays your money and takes your choice.

boneyard
13-03-2005, 10:55
Ive had stuff from america and got the company to mark it a "warantee replacement for faulty goods"...always worked for me so far

Mad Ad
13-03-2005, 18:23
if you do that try make sure that the paperwork for the goods is sent seperatly to the product - they are not stupid.

Skraggy_uk
08-04-2005, 09:03
Computer components aren't liable for duty when imported from the US.

You may however get hammered for VAT.

Mad Ad
08-04-2005, 13:27
I heard recently that stuff sent via USPS (normal US post) attracts far less attention than stuff sent by the many courier companies.

andyhardy
08-04-2005, 22:04
I heard recently that stuff sent via USPS (normal US post) attracts far less attention than stuff sent by the many courier companies.

Armen uses them and I got stung for 9 in import duty and a 15 admin. charge by Parcel Force who deal with the USPS stuff this side of the pond. That was on a foldout casing worth 74 GBP at the time - so don't believe everything you read/hear.

Cheers,

Andy

Mad Ad
09-04-2005, 03:12
oh for sure, not everything escapes attention, two thirds was a quoted figure - I was just going on information given in a discussion by a couple of regular shippers - apparently they are not so hot on USPS normal mail, whereas almost all courier deliverys get pulled up, parcelforce too ... sorry to hear you were unlucky.

tankslappa
21-04-2005, 14:27
I got caught out with my power regulator thingermebob...

I don't mind playing the VAT, but then paying twice that for a "handling change" to the post off is taking the p*ss...

A handling charge... They're the post office, they're paid to handle packages! That's their job!

jamesratsey
10-08-2005, 11:20
Consider this:

1. After VAT and handling charge - will I still save money?
2. If I do still save money, is it enough of a saving that I don't have the retailer locally within my country and I'm protected under UK consumer law.

Buying goods from the outside the UK is all well and good but If you really want to save money then get a mate in the states to send the goods direct to you or go an visit the US yourself.

stuseed
01-07-2006, 14:25
This is a good guide for most custom's duties

http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm

When I was getting my double din unit, I researched and discovered;
You have to pay
14% duties on the total declared cost inc. shipping
then 17.5 vat on top of that figure.

It still worked out to be a bargain though

ccsnet
01-07-2006, 16:20
One point no one has mentioned - parcels are subject to a spot check and each item has its own tax code - this tax code refers to a particlar tax rate which is not just a standard %17 - could be more - could be less.

My advice - ring them HM C&E if your not sure - its free.

Terran

Enforcer
01-07-2006, 16:54
"hello, what's the duty on 3 bags of heroin?"

ccsnet
01-07-2006, 18:16
"hello, what's the duty on 3 bags of heroin?""Very high sir" :p

Terran

stuseed
01-07-2006, 18:29
"hello, what's the duty on 3 bags of heroin?"

Not to be sniffed at :icon_frown:

stuseed
01-07-2006, 18:35
One point no one has mentioned - parcels are subject to a spot check and each item has its own tax code - this tax code refers to a particlar tax rate which is not just a standard %17 - could be more - could be less.

Terran

Your referring to the the Taric
The link in post #14 has all that info there including a link to finding the codes and the % duties for each code relating to the country of origin

ccsnet
01-07-2006, 18:46
Your referring to the the Taric
The link in post #14 has all that info there including a link to finding the codes and the % duties for each code relating to the country of originDidn't click on the link... sounds right though although eg my Opus I had to specifically ring them and describe what it was to find the right code as it was not that obvious.

Terran

Jarra Dave
06-07-2006, 12:23
Bsatards the lot of em! I Bought an E46 bezel from MP3 Car which at £160 was already expensive but I then got stung for another £39 at this end for VAT and handling fees. Bsatards!!!!!

stuseed
06-07-2006, 21:55
Marking "gift" on the package doesn't alway work eh:eusa_snooty:

Scouse Monkey
06-07-2006, 23:17
i thought 'computer parts' didnt get taxed?

eg a screen will but a replacemtn screen bezel wont.

Confused
07-07-2006, 07:47
Or if not marking it as gift (due to the low price limit of a gift) - do it as Commercial Sample, or as a return (can't think of the exact term).

When I got my Xenarcs (from Xenarc direct) I got stung VAT first time round as they were marked as sold items - when I subsequently sent one back, it came back as returned/repaired goods and I didn't get stung any more (and if I did, I'd have really kicked off!)

LinITX.com
07-07-2006, 09:26
i thought 'computer parts' didnt get taxed?

eg a screen will but a replacemtn screen bezel wont.

You are right that "most" computer parts do not have Import Duty applied to them, but they are ALL liable for VAT if they are imported from outside the EU.

LinITX.com
07-07-2006, 09:28
Or if not marking it as gift (due to the low price limit of a gift) - do it as Commercial Sample, or as a return (can't think of the exact term).

When I got my Xenarcs (from Xenarc direct) I got stung VAT first time round as they were marked as sold items - when I subsequently sent one back, it came back as returned/repaired goods and I didn't get stung any more (and if I did, I'd have really kicked off!)

It all depends if it has been correctly declared on the way out of the country as a temporary export for repair. Then when it is returned they will not apply Tax or Duty because there is a record of it being paid the first time around.

MiT
04-08-2006, 20:52
I orderd some stuff from america. Just got a letter today from parcel force. Got to pay 47 extra for VAT. aaarrrgggghh :censored: :ranting:

Scouse Monkey
04-08-2006, 20:53
what did you order?

MiT
04-08-2006, 20:54
SP 13000 + M2-ATX + VoomPc case.

Scouse Monkey
04-08-2006, 21:02
where from? not the mp3whore shop i hope!!!

MiT
04-08-2006, 21:10
where from? not the mp3whore shop i hope!!!

http://www.short-circuit.com/

I emailed the guy, and after his price on the web, its was an extra $50, to post to the UK.

Still saved a bit. But after the customs VAT, its the same as buying in th UK. I have now learnt my lesson. Or i think it was the way they packed the items. I shall see when i finally get the goods.

Scouse Monkey
04-08-2006, 21:17
you can get around the customs charges bit they are the ones who will get in trouble for deceiving customs.

these days it does work out about the same over here.

MiT
04-08-2006, 21:21
you can get around the customs charges bit they are the ones who will get in trouble for deceiving customs.

these days it does work out about the same over here.

what about this?

International shipping charges do not include import duties and taxes, which are levied once the package reaches your country. The buyer is considered the importer of record and it is your responsibility to check with local customs agency about fees and regulations before purchasing.

Please note that customs clearance times vary by country. We recommend that you check with your local post office or customs agency in case the shipment has arrived and is awaiting action by you.

I cant do much.

Scouse Monkey
04-08-2006, 21:44
no what i mean is you can get the sender to package it as a gift and send all the invoices separately and out something like "Dear Johnny, Happy birthday love grandma" on a card in the box and send it from a post office not their shop.

That way there are no taxes but it is slightly illegal.

the other way is for them to completely undervalue the package on the customs forms and then invoice you for a mysterious service for the rest of the money.

either way is illegal.

MiT
04-08-2006, 21:50
AAAhhhhhh.

Now you tell me.

I will defo remember this one.

Scouse Monkey
04-08-2006, 21:51
but it's illegal. tut tut ;)

MiT
04-08-2006, 21:58
aaarrrrr...am gona stick to UK from now on.:icon_mrgreen:

Enforcer
04-08-2006, 22:16
but it's illegal. tut tut ;)

http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2006351349,00.jpg

oops my bad, thought you meant tuk tuk.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003260000-2006350705,00.html

MiT
04-08-2006, 22:40
http://www.hotelzasia.com/images/tuktuk1.jpg

hehehe

Scouse Monkey
04-08-2006, 23:47
http://images.thesun.co.uk/picture/0,,2006351349,00.jpg

oops my bad, thought you meant tuk tuk.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003260000-2006350705,00.html

I want one! :mf_farmer:

ODYSSEY
05-08-2006, 07:17
So, anything over $34 US isn't considered a gift even if marked as one?

I decent gift can cost at least $50 sometimes, if not more. Sucks to send someone a gift, then they have to pay customs and taxes on it.

Enforcer
05-08-2006, 10:59
I want one! :mf_farmer:

the tuk tuk or camila's niece?

Brumm Brumm
05-08-2006, 12:46
how i see it.

if you declare an item as 'low value' when it is 'high value' then be aware that the declaration is binding.

in the event of 'damage in transit' you will recieve only (& up to) that lower value. i dont know how things work out if your credit card pays out insurance, but you gatta be aware , if you push them to pay out £150 on a £20 declared value package registered with customs. it might be twable.

Scouse Monkey
05-08-2006, 12:53
the tuk tuk or camila's niece?
is the blonde fit? she looks good from a far but she might be far from good up close.

MiT
05-08-2006, 14:05
Just picked up my package today. I now know why they charged me, and how they found. The supplier stuck a A5 paper on the package - "Customs declaration dispatch note -CP72", telling whats inside the box, and how much it costs. Then instead of saying its a gift it was marked as "commercial sample". No bloody wonder i got chaged!!!! By the way it was sent via Global Express mail.

Enforcer
05-08-2006, 16:16
is the blonde fit? she looks good from a far but she might be far from good up close.

She's pretty fit. Related to Camila Parker Bowles Now known as Camila Windsor. ;)