PDA

View Full Version : learning to write software

mini
01-11-2005, 00:52
hello.

as far as i know software is basically witchcraft.

my company has provided me with Microsoft Visual studio .net 2003, included with that is visual basic that i once used and found it best to suit me

keep in mind that i am a complete novice at this, but i would love to learn how to use it.

unfortuantly i dont have time for collage so is there any good websites any of you know of that would help me to get started, how did you guys learn how to write software?

any help would be appreciated

Phil

Convinced that software is witchcraft!

Rob Withey
02-11-2005, 10:13
unfortuantly i dont have time for collage so is there any good websites any of you know of that would help me to get started
I have this book, it seems quite good, though I haven't had time to learn VB yet (I'm a C++/ASM coder most of the time):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735620598/qid=1130922540/sr=8-15/ref=pd_ka_15/202-1751540-5483861

how did you guys learn how to write software?
Started writing software when I was 6, first ASM program when I was 11, first published program when I was 15, Software Engineering degree when I was 18-21, working professionally in the CAD/CAM and games industry for the last 11 years. So practice, practice and practice some more.

Rob

alanjonesbath
02-11-2005, 14:07
unfortuantly i dont have time for collage so is there any good websites any of you know of that would help me to get started, how did you guys learn how to write software?

I went to Uni for 3 years on a Computer Science course :roll: Not really sure about VB, but if you want to learn Java, the java.sun.com website has a really good online tutorial that is pretty good, thats what I used to learn Java. Other than that, I'd say get yourself a good book. There aren't many 'detailed' websites out there with enough of a tutorial to really teach you. The Java Tutorial is pretty much the only decent one i've ever found. Not sure of any books in particular for VB, but I've always found the O'Reily books to be very good for learning from, as they are what I've used to learn C# and ASP.NET.

As Rob said though, it really is a case of practice, practice, and a bit more practice. You won't learn it over night, and almost anyone who tells you that they know everything there is to know about a certain language will be lying. After 4 years of using Java, I don't think I've learnt half of what the language has to offer yet :?

flez1966
03-11-2005, 11:17
I think most problems in software development are fighting the language.

You can think it all out in your head but if your used to flow charts and the old linear languages then VB can be a tw@t as its event driven so the flow is all different.

Thats what I found, I used all different versions of basic and some c's but then started VB last year wrote one little program and then not touched it in last year till now.

I have not got my hands on .net yet, but I think its going to be the way as it will be forced upon us by m$

Enforcer
03-11-2005, 12:20
www.vbforums.com

Confused
03-11-2005, 12:51
www.vbforums.com

Yep, a good site.

If there's something you need to do, do a search for it, and you'll likely find some code.

Pretty much everything I've learnt in VB has been self-taught, just trying to figure bits of code out.

A good tip - when trying to do something in a bigger project - do it on it's own in a brand new project, and get it right, THEN incorporate it. It makes it much easier in my opinion :)

Garry

mini
07-11-2005, 19:48
cheers guys for all your replys, i have now got a start and hope to be coding soon, all i ever do is download other peoples software and i feel its time to give a little back to the community.

all i have managed so far is little joke apps saying stuff like "your computer has been fooked by microsoft, click here to download linux" shit like that..

and you are right, getting a grasp on the language is to say a little confusing, but im going to stick with it and hopefully i will be able to post somthing new.

Cheers..

Phil

Enforcer
07-11-2005, 20:29
A good tip - when trying to do something in a bigger project - do it on it's own in a brand new project, and get it right, THEN incorporate it. It makes it much easier in my opinion :)

Can't agree more with that one

Spaghetti
07-11-2005, 23:49
Yep, a good site.

If there's something you need to do, do a search for it, and you'll likely find some code.

Pretty much everything I've learnt in VB has been self-taught, just trying to figure bits of code out.

Garry

Oi! Get coding!